Mixer is a streaming community that respects creativity, which means we respect copyrights. Here’s some general information to answer common questions about copyrights. But please bear in mind that this isn’t legal advice. Every situation is different, and it’s up to you, with the help of your lawyer if needed, to know how not to infringe someone else’s copyrights.
If you’re a copyright owner and have concerns about your content appearing on Mixer, go to DMCA Information.
What is copyright?
Copyright refers to a bundle of intellectual property rights that creators own in original expressive content like online videos, video games, musical compositions, movies, TV, and more. An owner of a copyright can use these legal rights to control and use their content in specific ways.
What is copyright infringement?
Infringement is the unlawful misuse of someone’s copyright. It happens when someone uses copyrighted content in certain ways without authorization from the owner and without a valid defense (such as fair use). You can potentially be liable for copyright infringement even if:
- You place a disclaimer on your channel or in your streams that say you don’t intend to infringe copyrights
- You found the content on the internet (publicly available is not the same as “public domain”)
- You have paid for personal use of content (e.g., a digital song purchased on iTunes) that you now want to use in your stream
- You have seen others use similar content in their streams
- You give credit to the owner of that content
- You have never made money from the stream containing the copyrighted content
- You have put in work to record the content (e.g., TV show) that you now want to use in your stream
- You have put in work to create content that is based on copyrighted content
How can I use copyrighted content in my streams without committing copyright infringement?
You can get advance permission from the owner of the copyrighted content. You can also look for content that is released under a Creative Commons license that covers the use you want to make.
In some cases you may also be able to make fair use of the copyrighted content.
How do I make fair use of content in my stream?
Fair use is a complicated and technical legal concept that can’t be summarized easily. You can learn more about fair use here. If you are unsure whether you are making fair use of copyrighted content, you should seek legal advice before using it.